We woke up today with a strange message from the @WHATWG twitter account: “fuck off”
There was some astonishment and a couple of small giggles, but I think we largely ignored it. Later, though, we got a few more strange entries.
I think some kid somewhere had stumbled upon the form, which was located on the front page of whatwg.org. Just on the front page, with no password.
UI Fail to the extreme.
Anyway, there was a slew of messages as friends contacted friends and everyone realized they could tweet from the WHATWG twitter account. John Gabriel’s Greater Internet Dickwad Theory proved true. Almost everyone who posted to the account sounded like ten-year-olds.
There were a few gems in the pile, though:
- We’re scrapping HTML5 in favor of HTML 4.5, a more modest update to the spec. Look for it this fall.
- The HXTML 2.0 spec has been finalized with only one tag which is <text>.
- ZOMG I’m a BLUE PENIS
- Considering an <o rly=”ya”> tag.
- Won’t someone please think of the children?!
- My name is Robert’; DROP TABLE students;
- </html> tag replaced with </kthnxbai>
- Hello. I am WHATWG and I am EXCELLENT
- WHATWG announce working group on emoticons. Homer says (_8(|) ~doh!
After ten minutes, it seems they ran out of API. Now it’s starting up again.
I’ve emailed Hixie, but I’ve no clue when he’ll wake up.
The @WHATWG channel started with over 1307 followers, and have since dropped to 1255.
More news in the future!
More as they come.
- WHATWG to start work on “Bible5″ http://bit.ly/TwZcX
- Trapped in twitter factory, send help!
Followers: 1207. I believe this will continue every hour until someone changes the site.
This from the IRC channel:
# [16:33] <beowulf> i say abused, i think it’s important that people buy viagra
# [16:34] <gsnedders|work> Are we going to have to get “I abused @WHATWG” t-shirts
# [16:34] <miketaylr> I’ll take a size M
# [16:36] <Lachy> beowulf, did you really tweet about viagra on @whatwg?
# [16:36] <gsnedders|work> Someone did.
# [16:36] * gsnedders|work glares
# [16:36] <miketaylr> the twitter status is about to hit critical mass a la reply-all ‘stop hitting reply-all’
# [16:37] <svl> The follower count is going into freefall
After another round of spamming, which seems to have left them with 1166 followers, several measures have been taken. Everyone started spamming Twitter’s @spam account with details about the spam, I flooded @WHATWG with wrong passwords — which locked the account — and others mentioned in the IRC that they disabled the form.
So, it appears to be over.
CSSquirrel should do a comic on this! It was epic!